Immunity is important for everyone. The better we take care of ourselves, the better quality of life we will have. I asked Jody Victor® to tell us about foods that will make us healthy.
Jody Victor®: Hey, Steve, you are 100% right. Health is something we must work on daily. Here’s some foods that boost your immunity.
1. ALMONDS are rich in minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that regulate your blood pressure.
2. AVOCADOS contain Carotenoids such as beta-Carotene, alpha-Carotene, and Lutein. Carotenoids have anti-inflammatory properties.
3. CHILLIES stimulate metabolism; help release endorphins; act as a natural blood thinner; and are rich in beta-Carotene, which turns into Vitamin A in your blood and fights infections.
4. CINNAMON is rich in anti-oxidants that inhibit blood clotting and bacterial growth. It also helps stabilize blood sugar and fights bad cholesterol.
5. COCOA helps decrease blood pressure and improves cholesterol levels. Cocoa has a high concentration of flavanols, which are plant-based anti-oxidants that protect your skin.
6. COFFEE, in moderation, can lower your risk of developing dementia, prostrate cancer, and Parkinson’s disease.
7. FIGS are loaded with potassium, manganese, and anti-oxidants. Figs also support proper pH levels in your body, which makes it more difficult for pathogens to invade. Figs are high in fiber, which reduces the risk of diabetes.
8. GARLIC is known for fighting colds. Garlic increases the potency of two important cells of your immune system: T-lymphocytes and macrophages.
9. GINGER contains a compound that is effective against colon cancer and helps ward off colds and the flu.
10. MUSHROOMS reduce the risk of cancer and build up your immune response by boosting the production of white blood cells.
11. OYSTERS are very high in zinc. Zinc plays a role in enzymatic functions more than any other mineral. Zinc is indispensible to your immune system.
12. POMEGRANATE is known to be a cancer-fighting powerhouse.
13. PUMPKINS are high in beta-Carotene, a nutrient that your body breaks down to make Vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for immunity.
14. STRAWBERRIES contain Vitamin C and ellagic acid. Both prevent your skin from environmental damage and help hold moisture in your skin.
15. SWEET POTATOES contain glutathione, an anti-oxidant that enhances nutrient metabolism and your immune system. Glutathione has been shown to protect against Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, liver disease, cystic fibrosis, HIV, cancer, heart attack and diabetes.
16. TEA (green, black, or white) contains anti-oxidants that are skin boosting. All teas contain flavonoids. The anti-oxidant EGCG in green tea reduces the risk of most types of cancer. It also inhibits the growth of bad bacteria in your intestine. Experts believe that 4 cups of green tea a day helps keep your immune system in peak condition.
17. TOMATOES are great in protecting your body against degenerative diseases.
18. TURMERIC, a centuries-old spice, is well-known for its strong cold and flu-fighting properties.
19. YOGURT is composed of calcium, zinc, Vitamin B1, B2, B12, and protein, which protect your bones and fight cancer.
All the Best!